Friday, April 13, 2007

quite mysteriously....

hey ppl!!... am really sorry, not to have written anything here for a very long time... but i have been extremely busy. Here i am again ... back with a bang (I hope ;-)) .

I am here to type down a thought that i suddenly got today evening when i was walkin back home from my college bus stop. Its a really funny and kinda vague thought u knw, i really wonder at myself for this :-)..

Here goes a series of incidents that led to it i guess...

Incident Number 1 :
My class guys and I were playing cricket last week in Somasundaram ground... We were bowling first, I had already finished my quota of the intital 3 overs that i was given and was asked to field to on the off side jus a little bit close to the batsmen, short mid wicket i guess (dunno exactly .. close enuf to the batsmen anyway). Rakesh was bowling and the ball was hit a bit square hard enuf(could jus see a flash of the ball from my pos) it went a bit left to me I missed it. Next over Senthil Raj was bowling again the ball was driven quite hard to my side this time i could get my hands down to the left but still could not field it.. It quite kept happening a few more times after that.. Then after a few overs I still retained my position.. While prasad was bowling the ball was hit quite hard to my right and this time I was not able to see the ball.. but quite mysteriously the hand went in the right direction and stopped it


Incident Number 2
Yesterday we were playing Counter Strike at a gaming center near our college , I played for the first time after almost 4.5 years.. and I was the worst, well all that my enemies need is just a fraction or two to blow my head off, and i was extremely generous at it, I gave them a lifetime.. We start of the game i buy my ammunition and come out of the hideout ,I see many people around I carefully move my mouse to make the cross hair come near the head of a person in front and i take a shot (oh my gosh!!.. its my team mate,He calls me in all bad words) ...
Then after a few rounds the same things happens i come out find my enemy i know he is gonna shoot anytime, i move my mouse in excitment and shoot ........ well!!! am dead meat( I had been shooting somewhere else)

Well the same thing happens for a very long time.. game after game am being mauled by merciless terrorists.
Today we played again .. this time in a totally different arena, am CT as usual.. i take my fav gun and move forward.. I go to the right and watch, I find two enemies around i take a plunge and start shooting .. DEAD AGAIN... Next time i move the same way but on the other side.. my eyes have started working better now.. I found a terrorist around i jus move forward and can here footfalls to my right I move left a bit and I suddenly find him there aiming his gun at me, I turn my mouse around and take two shots in half fear and half excitement , BANG BANG.... WOW hez DEAD... and he was a great player of the game as well... Well my excitement was at its peak.


Well there are many such incidents that i can recall once i start thinking about them, its all so intriguing... It jus shows that more than jus learning that the Human Brain does it does a lot of mathematical calculations.. It knows so many things from what we percieve..

Even when the eye did not see something that was critical , it calculated form all its previous frame some things that are being used to stimulate a reaction . Well it does seem to make the right calculations.. Is this how reflexes work.. from calculations made in the past?????

Well i sit wondering this , I think how is the Brain doing this , well when i say that I am sitting and thinking actually the Brain is thinking on "How the brain is working".. Well this is very mysterious and exciting to me.. The brain is actually thinking of how it is working!!!... and the sad part is it is not able to find it out.

Analyzing it a bit.. All machines do things that they are being asked to without knowing it.. are our brains being instructed to do certain things without knowing it.. is it an extremely complex MACHINE???...

Even if these two parts one that works and learns and the one with which we think and wonder for ourselves (one that does all the scientific investigation) are on totally different areas of the brain, wouldn they communicate with each other .. like "hey here listen this is how i work"???

Well i guess we people have to keep wondering about such highly intruiging mysteries of the world..

mysteriously yours,
Shiv



10 Comments:

At April 13, 2007 8:08 AM, Blogger Sowmya said...

ya..its a mystery..."the brain thinking abt how it is working" good one actually....i would like to ask something else..have any of u ever felt like u are talking to ur frens r doing somethin actually n suddenly u have a feeling that u are more of reliving the moment???...i.e have u ever felt like i have seen the same scene some where already...maybe in ur dreams...r something but ever felt anything like that?????????????????

 
At April 13, 2007 8:13 AM, Blogger Revathy said...

hey shiv good post and u've been having some mysterious thoughts as well ;-) You are right the human brain is really complex i've wondered a lot of times how our brain works as well!That point about reflexes was really good!I've read somewhere tat the different part of the brain do communicate! i kinda picture it this way "There is a cheif part of the brain which is wat make humans have desires n wants,and when this chief part wants something this feeling is communicated across the brain and other parts work like machines,like they do wat they are programmed to do!" I hope i get my pt accross:-)!

 
At April 13, 2007 8:42 AM, Blogger Asuri Sudarsanan said...

Nice thoughts, but a little late in time. When you were fielding for the first few overs, it was ur brain controlling, that u wer slow to react. But as the same incident keeps happening over and over again, Brain somehow programmes it and sends it to the spinal cord. When u hav reflexes, ur spinal cord starts controlling....

but its only a temporary control.. if u field in the same position tommorow, u will need sometime to get settled, but surely lesser than what it took today...

if u are a programmer, and interested in mathematical programming, there is a famous research work called "FFTW"... it does Fast Fourier Transform in an optimised way.. for the first few times u run the program in ur computer, it figures out the architecture of the system, and stores some optimising subroutine within itself... later in time, it will use the optimised code and just BLUDGEON's through the operation... (if u appreciate the programming part of DFT, u will be filled with awe looking at the speed)

 
At April 13, 2007 8:55 PM, Blogger shiv said...

@sowmya : hey ya everyone feels that way.. its called Deja Vu its a french word...

@Revathy :Ya i got ur point!!.. :-) ..Its actually news to me

@Sriram R: ya am a programmer .. Ya i have heard about this FFTW and i have also done some DFT programming.. Have been awed many times by such research man!!..

 
At April 18, 2007 1:03 PM, Blogger Maharaj Nilesh ki jai ho! said...

Wow!! nice to read dood.. well i ve felt it all too. its all pre-programmend things in life sometimes. probably we are all pre programmed n our brain is instructed to develop in each field..whatever u cud imagine off..gradually..
abt crick- mid wicket it not on the off side.
"Is this how reflexes work.. from calculations made in the past?????"- pretty cool!

and abt CS...i can be a fierce competitor at bad playing! i totally suck at it.

 
At April 26, 2007 10:28 AM, Blogger Sia said...

Hey Shiv,
Tat was a gud one..How is it tht ur brain always thinks about things tat are mysterious;)..Jokes apart human brain has always been an inarticulate n an intriate subject..I am always intrigued by the facts tat are associated wt our brains , stuffs like how does our eye blink even without our knowledge or how is it tht we respond exactly the way situation demands us..Anyways This is a gud post , well written and properly substantiated wt some gud incidents..I specially liked the line " The brain is actually thinking of how it is working!!!... and the sad part is it is not able to find it out."
he he:) funny
Sorry for the delayed comment..
Vids

 
At May 01, 2007 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude,

nice one

add to this the thot that you are a born lefty and converted half righty. ;)

what do you get from this perspective

i guess you cud say that if some on ie our parents had not done that, is it possible that your brain wud percieve the same situation differently.

I guess you will have time after you exams to ponder ;)

luv
your bro

 
At May 01, 2007 8:16 PM, Blogger shiv said...

@Nilz ha ha u r bad at CS too eh thts good i have a companion!!

@Vidya how to react as the situation demands i beleive that the brain does certain level of learning and understands wholly the complications of situations and its actions from wht it has learn

@bro thanks for the comment .. am sure i would ponder and do some thinking AFTER xams ;-)

 
At May 12, 2007 1:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good read :)

The brain keeps learning frm the past. Thats how we master things.
You listen to a line once. You learn 70% of it. You sing it the next time, you spend less time learning the 30%. Once it is done,it advances to mastering the line (Bad example cited for the want of a better one :P)

But what about inheritance (literally)? Isnt that learning too? Sort of pre-programmed stuff? So, the brain learns from something that happened before the brain existed? :O

 
At May 13, 2007 7:11 PM, Blogger shiv said...

@ anu hey nice comment .. ya i guess it learns certain things from our parents .. maybe the already learnt and trained data from the neurons are being copied onto the offsprings!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home